Dear Model Vegan,
What is the diet that you were raised on that you mention in your post about losing weight.
The diet is described in detail in The Model Vegan on Weightloss. Also in that book are recipes consistent with the rules my mother taught us around food and health and optimal nutrition. In short they are:
- Eat acids and starches at separate meals. Acids neutralize the alkaline medium required for starch digestion and the result is fermentation and indigestion.
- Eat protein foods and carbohydrate foods at separate meals. Protein foods require an acid medium for digestion.
- Eat but one kind of protein food at a meal.
- Eat proteins and acid foods at separate meals. The acids of acid foods inhibit the secretion of the digestive acids required for protein digestion. Undigested protein putrefies in bacterial decomposition and produces some potent poisons.
- Eat sugars (fruits) and proteins at separate meals.
- Eat sugars (fruits) and starchy foods at separate meals. Fruits undergo no digestion in the stomach and are held up if eaten with foods that require digestion in the stomach.
- Eat melons alone. They combine with no other food.
- Desert the desserts. Eaten on top of meals they lie heavy on the stomach, requiring no digestion there, and ferment. Bacteria turn them into alcohols and vinegars and acetic acids.
- Take the USANA Healthy 100 PAK available at www.dushenka.usana.com.
- Drink half as many ounces of water per day as you weigh in pounds. For example if you weigh 200 pounds, drink at least 100 ounces of water every day. If you weigh 160 pounds, drink at least 80 ounces of water per day.